NB: This visa is a replacement for the T5 Temporary Worker – Charity Worker visa
If you are interested in doing unpaid volunteer work for a UK charity, and you have received a sponsorship certificate from an licensed employer, you may be eligible to apply for a Charity Worker Visa.
In addition to a sponsorship certificate, for this visa you:
- must be at least 18 years old when you apply
- usually need to prove you have at least £1270 in your bank account to support yourself when you arrive
When you apply for a Charity Worker Visa, you will need to supply the Home Office with the following:
- Your sponsorship certificate reference number
- A passport or other valid identity document
- Proof of your ability to support yourself in the UK (usually either personal bank statements or confirmation of financial support from your employer)
- You may be exempt from this requirement if you have already been in the UK for over a year, or if your employer has confirmed they will cover up to £1270 of your costs after you arrive
- Tuberculosis test results if you are applying from a country where the UK requires this
- Proof of relationship with any dependants (i.e. children or a partner) who are applying with you
- Each dependent needs to submit their own separate visa application and pay any required fees
Charity Worker Visa process and costs
It usually takes around 3 weeks to get a decision on a Charity Worker Visa application submitted from outside the UK, and up to 8 weeks if the application was submitted from within the UK.
Applications for a UK Charity Worker Visa cost £298. You will also have to pay the UK’s healthcare surcharge as part of your application.
A Charity Worker Visa can be issued for up to 12 months, and you will be permitted to enter the UK up to two weeks before you are due to start your job.
NB: This visa does not permit you to take on paid or permanent work. If you wish to get a paid job after you have entered the UK on this visa, you may have to apply to switch to a different type of working visa.
Neveen is a UK Immigration Solicitor with over 20 years experience in UK Immigration Law. She represents corporate and individual clients seeking assistance with any visa category to the UK. Neveen is a graduate of Westminster University, from which she was awarded the 2021 Westminster Alumni Outstanding Achievement Award.
Neveen’s rapid career trajectory saw her progress at pace from paralegal to Head of Department level, and then to earning a place on her firm’s Board of Directors by the age of 28. This achievement was recognised by Who’s Who placing her in their directory of ‘Britain’s Business Elite’ in 2008. Neveen then went on to establish her own boutique Immigration Law Firm in the City of London in 2015. She also co-founded the Hexagon Legal Network in 2017.
Neveen is passionate about all aspects of UK immigration law, and is committed to providing bespoke residence and citizenship solutions to citizens across the globe that wish to relocate to the UK. Neveen’s immigration advisory services are predominately geared towards highly skilled workers and companies wishing to have a UK presence, however she and her team of experienced immigration advisors can also assist with partner-based applications, student visas and all other personal and business immigration matters.
If you would like to discuss your UK immigration matter or have any questions about your options for immigrating to the UK, you can book a consultation here.